Baby Bath Seat
One-year-old baby boy died when his bath seat tipped over, causing him to submerge in the bath water and ultimately drown. The boy was seated in a baby bath seat manufactured by the defendant. The boy's mother briefly left the bathroom to check on the other children in the home. Upon her return, she found the seat tipped on its side and the baby boy under the water. The baby was unconscious and never regained consciousness prior to his death. The baby bath seat was defectively and negligently designed and sold, as it was not reasonably fit for its intended or foreseeable purpose of keeping the baby upright in the bathtub. The bath seat's suction cups did not adhere properly to the bathtub and the seat was prone to tipping. When the seat did tip, it entrapped the child under the water. The seat provided a false sense of security to parents who felt it was safe to leave a baby in the bathtub for a short period of time. Approximately twenty other babies died as a result of drowning while using the defendant's baby bath seats.