Liquid Propane Gas; Camper; Inadequate Odorization
A 5-year-old child was severely burned when a fire occurred in the camping trailer in which she was sleeping. The child's father, who was fishing at a nearby lake, saw smoke coming from the trailer, ran into the burning trailer, and rescued her. The father had installed a wood-burning stove in the trailer, which was also equipt with a cooking range fueled by propane gas. The fire resulted from a propane leak which was ignited by the wood stove. Plaintiff brought suit against the wood stove manufacturer and the suppliers of the propane gas involved in the fire. Plaintiff successfully argued that the propane gas was not adequately odorized in that the plaintiff's father had not smelled any leaking propane prior to the fire.